GaL-AA Seeking Candidates for 2019 Elections
(Term 1/1/2019- 12/31-2020)
Well, it’s that time of the year again—time for the GaL-AA Spirit of Rotation to inspire and excite your Spirit of Service for the LGBT+ AA Community!
Gal-AA 2019-2020 Positions:
- Advisor I
- Advisor lll
Election Time Line:
- Oct. 11 – Nov. 24, 2018: Resume Submissions accepted
- Dec. 8 2018: Slate of Candidates announced and ballots distributed via email
- Dec. 8-22, 2018: Online voting open
- Dec. 27, 2018: Results announced
- January 1st, 2019: New Officers assume responsibilities
Do you want to be of service but the positions above don’t seem the right fit for you? Don’t worry, we have something for everyone! Also available are non-voting positions that are simply appointed by the board.
- Help with Newsletter
- Roundup Liaison/Liaisons
- Website Team Member
The GaL-AA Executive Committee looks forward to yourjoining the fellowship to help bring a message of Experience, Strength and Hope to our LGBT+ AA Community. For questions and submissions, please email Elections@GaL-AA.org
For Your Reference:
- GaL-AA Charter and By-Laws are available at GaL-AA.org
- GaL-AA Executive Committee Terms ending 31 December 2018
- Chair- Denise R.
- Treasurer-Pierre B.
- Advisor l – Jim A.
- Advisor lll- Randall R.
- Any GaL-AA member may run for the Executive Committee by sending a service resume.
- Service Resumes outline an individual’s work within the fellowship and specific talents that contribute to the GaL-AA mission.
- Brief descriptions of responsibilities for each position are outlined below.
General Committee Member Responsibilities
(All members share these responsibilities)
- Participate in all planning to ensure that GaL-AA serves the gay and lesbian members of Alcoholics Anonymous; works in the spirit of unity with AA as a whole and carries the message of recovery for the lesbian and gay alcoholic who still suffers.
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Committee whether in person or via conference call or electronic media.
- Encourage and support the participation of members, representatives and volunteers in all areas of GaL-AA service.
- Maintain fiscal accountability for GaL-AA through the development of an annual budget, approval of the annual budget, raising funds as needed and monitoring the financial reports and the Treasurer’s reports.
- Participate in periodic inventory of GaL-AA mission, services and goals; this inventory to take place in all odd-numbered years.
- Participate in the oversight responsibility for the GaL-AA newsletter, GaL-AA website, all print materials, public information and media endeavors.
- Agree to release full name and contact information while serving on the Executive Committee in keeping with the public corporate and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Participate in the formulation and membership of standing committees and ad-hoc committees as determined by the Executive Committee.
- At the time of rotation off the committee, each member will prepare and train the in-coming member to ensure an orderly transition to maintain the purpose and services of GaL-AA. This includes all documentation and verbal explanation of position responsibilities.
- The Executive Committee will work within the Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous in all matters, reminding us to act as trusted servants; trust the process of the group conscience and remember to place principles before personalities.
- GaL-AA shall endeavor to use the guidelines of Alcoholics Anonymous wherever possible. The General Service Office provides specific guidelines on most matters which are based on the experiences of other service groups. In addition, the GSO offers literature models for written information. Our goal is not to reinvent the wheel but to use the work of those who have come before us in service to the alcoholic.
- Participate in other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee.
GaL-AA Seeking Candidates for 2018Elections
- Preside over all meetings of the full Executive Committee and the General Membership.
- Develop the agenda for all Executive Committee meetings in consult with the Deputy Chairperson.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on back accounts
- Maintain responsibility as signatory for all contracts and financial matters.
- Designate a member of the Executive Committee to serve as coordinator/manager of all responsibilities for GaL-AA representatives.
- Develop and maintain a Manual of Policies and Practices with the approval of the Executive Committee. Primary responsibility will be with the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Secretary.
- To facilitate efficient cooperation, the Chairperson will serve as the primary contact with the General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous and/or itsdesignated contractors in order to plan GaL-AA participation with the International Alcoholics Anonymous Conventions held every five years.
- Prepare and present an annual budget.
- Prepare and present quarterly financial reports.
- Prepare and present monthly status reports on income, expenditures and budget adherence.
- Maintain standard record keeping system for fiscal matters.
- Establish and maintain GaL-AA checking and savings accounts.
- Collect all monies for deposit to the bank.
- Approve all invoices; disburse funds and prepare checks for payment.
- Serve as primary contact with banking institutions and arrange for authorization of check signatories.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on all bank accounts.
- Maintain prudent reserve fund as determined by the Executive Committee and other reserve funds as designated by the Executive Committee.
- Prepare and submit appropriate tax documentation to maintain compliance with IRS rules for non- profit corporations.
- Maintain incorporation status, in cooperation with S
- Develop policies and procedures for financial matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain the primary role for development of opportunities for representatives/volunteers to participate in the work of GaL-AA, to share in decision making and to assume responsibilities for service work.
- Maintain responsibility for distributing information from the Executive Committee to the representatives/volunteers.
- Maintain responsibility for channeling information from representatives/volunteers to the Executive Committee.
- Maintain responsibility for all materials (written or via website) which pertain to representatives/volunteers (with approval of Executive Committee). This includes job descriptions, flyers, brochures, handbooks, etc.
- Coordinate with Advisor IIfor all representatives/volunteers hosting a Gal-AA presence at roundups or conferences to ensure consistency of model and materials.
- Serve to orient new members of the Executive Committee who take office on January 1 in even numbered years.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the Grapevine.
- Facilitate special projects identified by the Executive Committee.
- Respond to individual and group requests for assistance from GaL-AA.
- Serve as GaL-AA Liaison to the gay/lesbian AA host community in planning for the GaL-AA participation in the International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous held every five years.