General Committee Member Responsibilities
(All members share these responsibilities)
- Participate in all planning to ensure that GaL-AA serves the LGBT+ members of Alcoholics Anonymous; works in the spirit of unity with AA as a whole and carry’s the message of recovery for the LGBT+ alcoholic who still suffers.
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Committee whether in person or via conference call or electronic media.
- Encourage and support the participation of members, representatives and volunteers in all areas of GaL-AA service.
- Maintain fiscal accountability for GaL-AA through the development of an annual budget, approval of the annual budget, raising funds as needed and monitoring the financial reports and the Treasurer’s reports.
- Participate in periodic inventory of GaL-AA mission, services and goals; this inventory to take place in all odd-numbered years.
- Participate in the oversight responsibility for the GaL-AA newsletter, GaL-AA website, all print materials, public information and media endeavors.
- Agree to release full name and contact information while serving on the Executive Committee in keeping with the public corporate and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Participate in the formulation and membership of standing committees and ad-hoc committees as determined by the Executive Committee.
- At the time of rotation off the committee, each member will prepare and train the in-coming member to ensure an orderly transition to maintain the purpose and services of GaL-AA. This includes all documentation and verbal explanation of position responsibilities.
- The Executive Committee will work within the Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous in all matters, reminding us to act as trusted servants; trust the process of the group conscience and remember to place principles before personalities.
- GaL-AA shall endeavor to use the guidelines of Alcoholics Anonymous wherever possible. The General Service Office provides specific guidelines on most matters which are based on the experiences of other service groups. In addition, the GSO offers literature models for written information. Our goal is not to reinvent the wheel but to use the work of those who have come before us in service to the alcoholic.
- Participate in other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee.
- Preside over all meetings of the full Executive Committee and the General Membership.
- Develop the agenda for all Executive Committee meetings in consult with the Deputy Chairperson.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on back accounts
- Maintain responsibility as signatory for all contracts and financial matters.
- Designate a member of the Executive Committee to serve as coordinator/manager of all responsibilities for GaL-AA representatives.
- Develop and maintain a Manual of Policies and Practices with the approval of the Executive Committee. Primary responsibility will be with the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Secretary.
- To facilitate efficient cooperation, the chairperson will serve as the primary contact with the General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous and/or its’ designated contractors in order to plan GaL-AA participation with the International Alcoholics Anonymous Conventions held every five years.
- Preside over all meetings of the full Advisory Council, Executive Committee and General Membership in the event that the Chairperson is unable to do so.
- Replace Chairperson in all identified roles and responsibilities in the event that the Chairperson is unable to execute the position.
- In cooperation with the Chairperson, establish all agendas.
- Oversee all literature (in print and on website) to insure accuracy and consistency of message.
- Monitor all literature (written and on website) to ensure that it is within the decisions and recommendations of the Executive Committee.
- In cooperation with the Chairperson, facilitate an on-going process of setting goals, monitoring progress, involving volunteers and identifying needs or changes.
- Serve as the primary liaison with AA-GSO, the AA Special Interest Groups, Box 459 and the LGBT+ international AA community. Maintain communication through letters of introduction, annual contacts and transmitting GaL-AA minutes, financial reports and informational materials.
- Maintain responsibility for the election process, solicitation of nominees, slate of candidates and balloting. Deputy Chairperson will appoint one member of the Executive Committee to serve with the Deputy Chairperson in this task. The member is to be someone who is not a candidate in the election cycle.
- Prepare and distribute minutes for all GaL-AA Executive Committee meetings and General Membership meetings with attendance record. Document approval and/or corrections to minutes.
- In cooperation with Chairperson, prepare and distribute meeting agendas and corresponding materials prior to each meeting of the Executive Committee.
- Serve as custodian of corporate records including but not limited to by-laws, policies, rules of order, minutes, correspondence, committees, Manual of Policies and Practices, charter and archival materials.
- Receive and review all GaL-AA correspondence; respond and/or redirect as appropriate.
- Responsible for all GaL-AA Executive Committee correspondence.
- Maintain a listing of all members of the Executive Committee.
- Manage the post office box/corporate mailing address.
- Receive donations via mail; document and send acknowledgments.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on all bank accounts.
- Maintain compliance with non-profit incorporation, in cooperation with Treasurer.
- Maintain compliance with IRS status, in cooperation with Treasurer.
- Prepare and present an annual budget.
- Prepare and present quarterly financial reports.
- Prepare and present monthly status reports on income, expenditures and budget adherence.
- Maintain standard record keeping system for fiscal matters.
- Establish and maintain GaL-AA checking and savings accounts.
- Collect all monies for deposit to the bank.
- Approve all invoices; disburse funds and prepare checks for payment.
- Serve as primary contact with banking institutions and arrange for authorization of check signatories.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on all bank accounts.
- Maintain prudent reserve fund as determined by the Executive Committee and other reserve funds as designated by the Executive Committee.
- Prepare and submit appropriate tax documentation to maintain compliance with IRS rules for non- profit corporations.
- Maintain incorporation status, in cooperation with secretary.
- Develop policies and procedures for financial matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain the primary role for development of opportunities for representatives/volunteers to participate in the work of GaL-AA, to share in decision making and to assume responsibilities for service work.
- Maintain responsibility for distributing information from the Executive Committee to the representatives/volunteers.
- Maintain responsibility for channeling information from representatives/volunteers to the Executive Committee.
- Maintain responsibility for all materials (written or via website) which pertain to representatives/volunteers (with approval of Executive Committee). This includes job descriptions, flyers, brochures, handbooks, etc.
- Coordinate with Advisor I for all representatives/volunteers hosting a GaL-AA presence at roundups or conferences to ensure consistency of model and materials.
- Serve to orient new members of the Executive Committee who take office on January 1 in odd numbered years.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the Grapevine.
- Maintain the primary role for Public Information, carrying the purpose and services of GaL-AA to the community.
- Serve as primary liaison with conferences and roundups to cooperate in service to the alcoholic who still suffers.
- Establish and maintain a model of public information for use at events to include booth display, staffing guidelines, presentations, signage and a system to sign up individuals, groups and round ups, etc.
- Coordinate all representation of GaL-AA at roundups and other conferences to ensure that the format, materials and message are consistent with GaL-AA model.
- Participate with the Deputy Chairperson and Technical Liaison in the development of GaL-AA literature for use in public information events, routine AA conventions, LGBT+ settings and the website.
- Serve to orient new members of the Executive Committee who take office on January 1 in even numbered years.
- Develop policies and procedures for GaL-AA work with the public.
- Provide orientation to new members of the Executive Committee.
- Facilitate special projects identified by the Executive Committee.
- Respond to individual and group requests for assistance from GaL-AA.
- Serve as GaL-AA Liaison to the LGBT+ AA host community in planning for the GaL-AA participation in the International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous held every five years.
- Maintain the primary role for the virtual office and the use of technology to facilitate carrying the GaL-AA message to serve alcoholics.
- Serve as primary oversight for the design, function and maintenance of the virtual office.
- Monitor the activities of all professionals and/or volunteers accessing the website to assist in providing services for GaL-AA.
- Collaborate with the secretary to maintain master roster of all active participants – Executive Committee, volunteers, representatives, members, committees and members, etc.
- Participate with Advisor I and the Deputy Chairperson in the development of GaL-AA literature for use in public information events, routine AA conventions, LGBT+ settings and the website.
- Develop policies and guidelines for website.