GaL-AA Seeking Candidates for 2019 Elections
GaL-AA Seeking Candidates for 2019 Elections
(Term 1/1/2019- 12/31-2020)
Well, it’s that time of the year again—time for the GaL-AA Spirit of Rotation to inspire and excite your Spirit of Service for the LGBT+ AA Community!
Gal-AA 2019-2020 Positions:
- Advisor I
- Advisor lll
Election Time Line:
- Oct. 11 – Nov. 24, 2018: Resume Submissions accepted
- Dec. 8 2018: Slate of Candidates announced and ballots distributed via email
- Dec. 8-22, 2018: Online voting open
- Dec. 27, 2018: Results announced
- January 1st, 2019: New Officers assume responsibilities
Do you want to be of service but the positions above don’t seem the right fit for you? Don’t worry, we have something for everyone! Also available are non-voting positions that are simply appointed by the board.
- Help with Newsletter
- Roundup Liaison/Liaisons
- Website Team Member
The GaL-AA Executive Committee looks forward to yourjoining the fellowship to help bring a message of Experience, Strength and Hope to our LGBT+ AA Community. For questions and submissions, please email Elections@GaL-AA.org
For Your Reference:
- GaL-AA Charter and By-Laws are available at GaL-AA.org
- GaL-AA Executive Committee Terms ending 31 December 2018
- Chair- Denise R.
- Treasurer-Pierre B.
- Advisor l – Jim A.
- Advisor lll- Randall R.
- Any GaL-AA member may run for the Executive Committee by sending a service resume.
- Service Resumes outline an individual’s work within the fellowship and specific talents that contribute to the GaL-AA mission.
- Brief descriptions of responsibilities for each position are outlined below.
General Committee Member Responsibilities
(All members share these responsibilities)
- Participate in all planning to ensure that GaL-AA serves the gay and lesbian members of Alcoholics Anonymous; works in the spirit of unity with AA as a whole and carries the message of recovery for the lesbian and gay alcoholic who still suffers.
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Committee whether in person or via conference call or electronic media.
- Encourage and support the participation of members, representatives and volunteers in all areas of GaL-AA service.
- Maintain fiscal accountability for GaL-AA through the development of an annual budget, approval of the annual budget, raising funds as needed and monitoring the financial reports and the Treasurer’s reports.
- Participate in periodic inventory of GaL-AA mission, services and goals; this inventory to take place in all odd-numbered years.
- Participate in the oversight responsibility for the GaL-AA newsletter, GaL-AA website, all print materials, public information and media endeavors.
- Agree to release full name and contact information while serving on the Executive Committee in keeping with the public corporate and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Participate in the formulation and membership of standing committees and ad-hoc committees as determined by the Executive Committee.
- At the time of rotation off the committee, each member will prepare and train the in-coming member to ensure an orderly transition to maintain the purpose and services of GaL-AA. This includes all documentation and verbal explanation of position responsibilities.
- The Executive Committee will work within the Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous in all matters, reminding us to act as trusted servants; trust the process of the group conscience and remember to place principles before personalities.
- GaL-AA shall endeavor to use the guidelines of Alcoholics Anonymous wherever possible. The General Service Office provides specific guidelines on most matters which are based on the experiences of other service groups. In addition, the GSO offers literature models for written information. Our goal is not to reinvent the wheel but to use the work of those who have come before us in service to the alcoholic.
- Participate in other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee.
GaL-AA Seeking Candidates for 2018Elections
- Preside over all meetings of the full Executive Committee and the General Membership.
- Develop the agenda for all Executive Committee meetings in consult with the Deputy Chairperson.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on back accounts
- Maintain responsibility as signatory for all contracts and financial matters.
- Designate a member of the Executive Committee to serve as coordinator/manager of all responsibilities for GaL-AA representatives.
- Develop and maintain a Manual of Policies and Practices with the approval of the Executive Committee. Primary responsibility will be with the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Secretary.
- To facilitate efficient cooperation, the Chairperson will serve as the primary contact with the General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous and/or itsdesignated contractors in order to plan GaL-AA participation with the International Alcoholics Anonymous Conventions held every five years.
- Prepare and present an annual budget.
- Prepare and present quarterly financial reports.
- Prepare and present monthly status reports on income, expenditures and budget adherence.
- Maintain standard record keeping system for fiscal matters.
- Establish and maintain GaL-AA checking and savings accounts.
- Collect all monies for deposit to the bank.
- Approve all invoices; disburse funds and prepare checks for payment.
- Serve as primary contact with banking institutions and arrange for authorization of check signatories.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on all bank accounts.
- Maintain prudent reserve fund as determined by the Executive Committee and other reserve funds as designated by the Executive Committee.
- Prepare and submit appropriate tax documentation to maintain compliance with IRS rules for non- profit corporations.
- Maintain incorporation status, in cooperation with S
- Develop policies and procedures for financial matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain the primary role for development of opportunities for representatives/volunteers to participate in the work of GaL-AA, to share in decision making and to assume responsibilities for service work.
- Maintain responsibility for distributing information from the Executive Committee to the representatives/volunteers.
- Maintain responsibility for channeling information from representatives/volunteers to the Executive Committee.
- Maintain responsibility for all materials (written or via website) which pertain to representatives/volunteers (with approval of Executive Committee). This includes job descriptions, flyers, brochures, handbooks, etc.
- Coordinate with Advisor IIfor all representatives/volunteers hosting a Gal-AA presence at roundups or conferences to ensure consistency of model and materials.
- Serve to orient new members of the Executive Committee who take office on January 1 in even numbered years.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the Grapevine.
- Facilitate special projects identified by the Executive Committee.
- Respond to individual and group requests for assistance from GaL-AA.
- Serve as GaL-AA Liaison to the gay/lesbian AA host community in planning for the GaL-AA participation in the International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous held every five years.
GaL-AA Newsletter, Summer (Jul-Sep 2018)
2020 Detroit International Committee Update (July 2018)
The Detroit GaL-AA 2020 committee hosted our first fundraiser, a dinner party at Martin M.’s home, where we raised $1200! Martin made his mother’s famous chicken recipe, Randall R. used his managerial experience to keep us running smoothly, and I did a pretty good job of getting beverage and dessert orders correct as I served our guests.
Details will be forthcoming about our next fundraiser event, and you will be able to find those details and much more on our GaL-AA 2020 website! Look for more information in the next newsletter about the website address, how to sign up to volunteer in the GaL-AA hospitality suite or at the dance, and how we will be bringing the conference theme, Love and Tolerance is Our Code, to life in 2020.
-Megan M. & Martin Mc.
News from our 2020 Detroit International Committee Chairs
Greetings, and welcome to the preparations for the 2020 International AA Convention. My name is Megan M, and I am the GaL-AA 2020 convention chairperson. My deputy chair Marty and I will be giving you steady updates on our progress – and updates on ways you can get involved both at the convention itself and in pre-convention fundraising near you to support GaL- AA’s 2020 events, including the Friday night dance and a hotel hospitality suite.
Please sign up on the GaL-AA website, gal-aa.org, to receive email communications about the 2020 conven- tion (and the rest of the great work GaL-AA does!). On behalf of the entire 2020 convention GaL-AA team, we are looking forward to working with you, and we are excited to welcome you to Detroit.
Yours in service, Megan M., Detroit Committee Chair
It was very exciting at “Together We Can” the LGBT recovery conference in Detroit, held at the Troy Mar- riot this March. The GaL-AA Board came out in force to help get us started on the 2020 International Conven- tion to be held in Detroit. The Board was here in De- troit back in 2017 to plant the seed for “Love and Tol- erance is Our Code” in 2020. This year they held a meet and greet before the conference, where we met the Atlanta 2015 chair. They also held a very success- ful workshop to help us start getting organized for 2020 and to think about fundraising.
Atlanta had a very successful LGBT presence at the 2015 International Convention and we hope to be equally successful. Atlanta instituted the first “Miss International Sobriety” and we plan to continue this tradition. It was a very fun and engaging fundraiser for the Atlanta Committee. Speaking of Fundraising, we plan to start off small, first with events among the LGBT groups in Detroit. We will need your help, we can not do this alone. Between the March Roundup (mainstream AA) And Together We Can, we collected over 50 e-mail addresses.
We would like to get support from across the country and around the world. We in Michigan have a tradi- tional rivalry with Ohio and we have garnered some interest with our friends from the Buckeye State. The attendees from Toronto, Canada have already shown support. Just as AA grew from a handful of people, we plan to grow in order to have the best LGBT represen- tation at the 2020 International Convention. The theme of “Love and Tolerance is our Code” could not better reflect our attitude of acceptance of ourselves and others in AA, as well as the world at large. Hope to see you and meet you at the convention.
Yours in service, Martin Mc., Detroit Committee Deputy Chair
Notice of GaL-AA Bylaw Updates
Dear Members of GaL-AA:
At the Executive Committee’s face-to-face meeting in Troy Michigan in mid-March, the committee unanimously voted to revise the GaL-AA bylaws that had been in effect since August 29, 2014. These changes do not affect your overall rights as members of GaL-AA and they are summarized below. A version marked to show the changes we are proposing is posted here. According to Article 13 of the bylaws, the revised bylaws shall be posted on our website. As members of GaL-AA, the bylaws empower you to challenge the proposed revisions.
Summary of changes:
- References to lesbians, gay men and other gay people have been replaced with the more current/appropriate term “LGBT+”.
- The Statement of Inclusion in Article 3 was brought up to date with changes made by the Executive Committee at another in-person meeting in October of 2016.
- Article 7.2 was revised to require one in-person meeting annually as opposed to two (the committee believes there is a cost benefit associated with this change).
- We made other stylistic/non-material changes throughout the bylaws to correct typographical errors, misspellings and punctuation and use better grammar.
As further provided in Article 13, as members, you may challenge revisions at any time prior to October 11, 2017. As was always required, a challenge must be submitted to the GaL-AA chairperson in writing and shall include justification for the challenge. The committee will uphold or deny any challenges received at a subsequent meeting as further provided in Article 13.
Please take a moment to review the revised bylaws. Send any questions or challenge related e-mails to us using the contact form under “Contact Us”. Thank you for the opportunity to serve the LGBT+ AA community.
GaL-AA Executive Committee