GaL-AA Seeking Candidates for 2019 Elections
It’s that time of the year again—time for the GaL-AA Spirit of Rotation to inspire and excite your Spirit of Service for the LGBT+ AA Community!
(Term 1/1/2020 – 12/31-2022)
Gal-AA 2020-2022 Positions:
- Deputy Chair
- Advisor II
Election Time Line:
- October 10 – November 23, 2019: Resume Submissions accepted
- December 9, 2019: Slate of Candidates announced and ballots distributed via email
- December 9-23, 2019: Online voting open
- December 27, 2019: Resulted announced
- January 1, 2020: New Officers assume responsibilities
Do you want to be of service but the positions above don’t seem the right fit for you? Don’t worry, we have something for everyone! Also available are non-voting positions that are simply appointed by the board.
- Help with Newsletter
- Roundup Liaison/Liaisons
- Website Team Member
The GaL-AA Executive Committee looks forward to yourjoining the fellowship to help bring a message of Experience, Strength and Hope to our LGBT+ AA Community. For questions and submissions, please email Elections@GaL-AA.org
For Your Reference:
- GaL-AA Charter and By-Laws are available at GaL-AA.org
- GaL-AA Executive Committee Terms ending 31 December 2018
- Deputy Chair – Carol N..
- Secretary – Mark P.
- Advisor II – Eric W..
- Any GaL-AA member may run for the Executive Committee by sending a service resume.
- Service Resumes outline an individual’s work within the fellowship and specific talents that contribute to the GaL-AA mission.
- Brief descriptions of responsibilities for each position are outlined below.
General Committee Member Responsibilities
(All members share these responsibilities)
- Participate in all planning to ensure that GaL-AA serves the gay and lesbian members of Alcoholics Anonymous; works in the spirit of unity with AA as a whole and carries the message of recovery for the lesbian and gay alcoholic who still suffers.
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Committee whether in person or via conference call or electronic media.
- Encourage and support the participation of members, representatives and volunteers in all areas of GaL-AA service.
- Maintain fiscal accountability for GaL-AA through the development of an annual budget, approval of the annual budget, raising funds as needed and monitoring the financial reports and the Treasurer’s reports.
- Participate in periodic inventory of GaL-AA mission, services and goals; this inventory to take place in all odd-numbered years.
- Participate in the oversight responsibility for the GaL-AA newsletter, GaL-AA website, all print materials, public information and media endeavors.
- Agree to release full name and contact information while serving on the Executive Committee in keeping with the public corporate and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Participate in the formulation and membership of standing committees and ad-hoc committees as determined by the Executive Committee.
- At the time of rotation off the committee, each member will prepare and train the in-coming member to ensure an orderly transition to maintain the purpose and services of GaL-AA. This includes all documentation and verbal explanation of position responsibilities.
- The Executive Committee will work within the Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous in all matters, reminding us to act as trusted servants; trust the process of the group conscience and remember to place principles before personalities.
- GaL-AA shall endeavor to use the guidelines of Alcoholics Anonymous wherever possible. The General Service Office provides specific guidelines on most matters which are based on the experiences of other service groups. In addition, the GSO offers literature models for written information. Our goal is not to reinvent the wheel but to use the work of those who have come before us in service to the alcoholic.
- Participate in other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee.
- Preside over all meetings of the full Advisory Council, Executive Committee and General Membership in the event that the Chairperson is unable to do so.
- Replace Chairperson in all identified roles and responsibilities in the event that the Chairperson is unable to execute the position.
- In cooperation with the Chairperson, establish all agendas.
- Oversee all literature (in print and on website) to insure accuracy and consistency of message.
- Monitor all literature (written and on website) to ensure that it is within the decisions and recommendations of the Executive Committee.
- In cooperation with the Chairperson, facilitate an on-going process of setting goals, monitoring progress, involving volunteers and identifying needs or changes.
- Serve as the primary liaison with AA-GSO, the AA Special Interest Groups, Box 459 and the LGBT+ international AA community. Maintain communication through letters of introduction, annual contacts and transmitting GaL-AA minutes, financial reports and informational materials.
- Maintain responsibility for the election process, solicitation of nominees, slate of candidates and balloting. Deputy Chairperson will appoint one member of the Executive Committee to serve with the Deputy Chairperson in this task. The member is to be someone who is not a candidate in the election cycle.
- Prepare and distribute minutes for all GaL-AA Executive Committee meetings and General Membership meetings with attendance record. Document approval and/or corrections to minutes.
- In cooperation with Chairperson, prepare and distribute meeting agendas and corresponding materials prior to each meeting of the Executive Committee.
- Serve as custodian of corporate records including but not limited to by-laws, policies, rules of order, minutes, correspondence, committees, Manual of Policies and Practices, charter and archival materials.
- Receive and review all GaL-AA correspondence; respond and/or redirect as appropriate.
- Responsible for all GaL-AA Executive Committee correspondence.
- Maintain a listing of all members of the Executive Committee.
- Manage the post office box/corporate mailing address.
- Receive donations via mail; document and send acknowledgments.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on all bank accounts.
- Maintain compliance with non-profit incorporation, in cooperation with Treasurer.
- Maintain compliance with IRS status, in cooperation with Treasurer.
- Respond to individual and group requests for assistance from GaL-AA
- Serve as GaL-AA Liaison to the gay/lesbian AA host community in planning for the GaL-AA participation in the International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous held every five years.
The GaL-AA committee would like to publicly say farewell to a former member of our committee, Michael N., who passed away 3/6/2019. Michael was a long-time member serving in several positions on the committee. He was in- strumental in helping to transform our committee from the International Advisory Council (IAC) to the now GaL-AA committee. Michael was active in AA in his community and served on several other service positions. Michael will be remembered for his sense of humor and loving personality.
GaL-AA Executive Committee
GaL-AA Summer 2019 Newsletter
How to get involved with GaL-AA Detroit 2020
If you’re interested in volunteer opportunities, please fill out the volunteer registration form below and the GaL-AA Detroit 2020 International Committee will get in touch with you.
GaL-AA Detroit 2020 Website