GaL-AA Seeking Candidates For Election Late-2014
The following positions will be on this year’s ballot – Chair, Treasurer, Advisor I and Advisor III. Brief descriptions of responsibilities for each position are outlined below. Please note that any GaL-AA member has the opportunity to serve if they so desire. All that is needed is for you to submit a service resume. This resume outlines your work within the fellowship and any specific talents that you feel might contribute to our mission and will be shared on the official ballot. Once all submissions have been received, the election will be held and results announced.
The election timelines are as follows:
- Resume Submissions are being accepted until November 28th, 2014.
- Slate of Candidates will be announced and ballots distributed by email.
- Election Online voting will be open from when the slate is announced until December 22, 2014.
- Results The new slate of officers will be announced in late December.
- New Slate Officers assume responsibilities January 1st, 2015.
Officer Shared Responsibilities
- Participate in all planning to ensure that GaL-AA serves the gay and lesbian members of Alcoholics Anonymous; works in the spirit of unity with AA as a whole and carry’s the message of recovery for the lesbian and gay alcoholic who still suffers.
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Committee annually whether in person, conference call or other media method.
- Encourage and support the participation of members, representatives and volunteers in all areas of service
- Maintain fiscal accountability of GaL-AA through the development of an annual budget, approval of the annual budget, raising funds as needed and monitoring financial reports raising funds as needed and monitoring the Treasurer’s reports.
- Participate in periodic inventory of GaL-AA mission, services and goals; this inventory to take place in all odd-numbered years.
- Participate in the oversight responsibility for the GaL-AA newsletter, GaL-AA website, all print materials, public information and media endeavors.
- Agree to release full name and contact information while serving on the Executive Committee in keeping with the public corporate and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Participate in the formulation and membership of standing and ad-hoc committees as determined by the Executive Committee.
- At the time of rotation off the committee, each member will prepare and train the in-coming member to ensure an orderly transition to maintain the purpose and services of GaL-AA. This includes verbal, written and documentation.
- The Executive Committee will work within the Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous in all matters, reminding us to act as trusted servants; trust the process of the group conscience and remember to place principles before personalities.
- Participate in other duties as assigned.
- Preside over all meetings of the full Executive Committee and the General Membership.
- Develop the agenda for all Executive Committee meetings in consult with the Deputy Chairperson.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on back accounts
- Maintain responsibility as signatory for all contracts and financial matters.
- Designate a member of the Executive Committee to serve as coordinator/manager of all responsibilities for GaL-AA representatives.
- Develop and maintain a Manual of Policies and Practices with the approval of the Executive Committee. Primary responsibility will be with the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Secretary.
- To facilitate efficient cooperation, the chairperson will serve as the primary contact with the General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous and/or its’ designated contractors in order to plan GaL-AA participation with the International Alcoholics Anonymous Conventions held every five years.
- Prepare and present an annual budget.
- Prepare and present quarterly financial reports.
- Prepare and present monthly status reports on income, expenditures and budget adherence.
- Maintain standard record keeping system for fiscal matters.
- Establish and maintain GaL-AA checking and savings accounts.
- Collect all monies for deposit to the bank.
- Approve all invoices; disburse funds and prepare checks for payment.
- Serve as primary contact with banking institutions and arrange for authorization of check signatories.
- Maintain co-signatory authority on all bank accounts.
- Maintain prudent reserve fund as determined by the Executive Committee and other reserve funds as designated by the Executive Committee.
- Prepare and submit appropriate tax documentation to maintain compliance with IRS rules for non- profit corporations.
- Maintain incorporation status, in cooperation with secretary.
- Develop policies and procedures for financial matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain the primary role for Public Information, carrying the purpose and services of GaL-AA to the community.
- Serve as primary liaison with conferences and roundups to cooperate in service to the alcoholic who still suffers.
- Establish and maintain a model of public information for use at events to include booth display, staffing guidelines, presentations, signage and a system to sign up individuals, groups and round ups, etc.
- Coordinate all representation of GaL-AA at roundups and other conferences to ensure that the format, materials and message are consistent with GaL-AA model.
- Participate with the Deputy Chairperson and Technical Liaison in the development of GaL-AA literature for use in public information events, routine AA conventions, gay/lesbian-specific settings and the website.
- Serve to orient new members of the Executive Committee who take office on January 1 in even numbered years.
- Develop policies and procedures for GaL-AA work with the public.
- Provide orientation to new members of the Executive Committee.
- Facilitate special projects identified by the Executive Committee.
- Respond to individual and group requests for assistance from GaL-AA.
- Serve as GaL-AA Liaison to the gay/lesbian AA host community in planning for the GaL-AA participation in the International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous held every five years.
Please also note that in addition to the Executive Committee positions to be filled there are also numerous standing positions that are currently available. They include our Newsletter Editor and Roundup liaison/liaisons. Anyone interested in either of these positions, please contact me for more information. These are appointed positions and not elected positions.
Deputy Chair (715-853-3808)
FOR YOUR REFERENCE
- GaL-AA Executive Committee terms ending 12/31/14:
- Chairperson – Denise R.
- Treasurer – Mark J.
- Advisor II – Ethan K.
- GaL-AA Charter and By-Laws are available here
Executive Committee Meets in Atlanta Georgia – Home of the Next International AA Convention
The GaL-AA Executive Committee met in Atlanta, GA to continue plans for the 2015 International AA Convention. We hosted a meet and greet with the 2015 GaL-AA Atlanta International Convention Committee who have been working tirelessly to plan our GaL-AA hospitality room and dance during the event.
Additionally, we are designing and developing new features and enhancements to our website and online meeting database system to make it more user friendly. We also revised the organization’s by-laws to better meet our needs and primary purpose going forward.
The GaL-AA 2015 Atlanta Team info
The GaL-AA 2015 Atlanta Team has been meeting for several months and actively growing to include more members of the committee. We have filled most of the committee positions including Outreach, Financial, Fundraising and Technical/Construction, and have had lots of helpful research in locations and logistics. Plans are now underway for an Country Western Dance including line-dancing lessons along with a silent auction as this year’s first major fundraiser in March. The team is excited to also have creative talent on board to volunteer giving line-dancing lessons, entertainment and DJ. The planning team and anyone interested in getting involved meets monthly on the first Saturday at the Galano Club in midtown Atlanta.